Roller skates are bindings that are worn to enable the wearer to roll along on wheels. Roller skating can be a fun leisure activity or a great form of exercise. So, if it’s a bright sunny day and you are up for some adventure hop on to your roller skates and off you go.
Tips for Roller Skating properly and safely
Given below are 5 tips that ensure you use your roller skates like a pro.
- Put your skating equipment on – The only equipment you need to roller skate is a pair of skating boots that you fit in well. However, for additional safety, you might consider wearing wrist guards, knee pads and a helmet.
- Take the right posture – Remember where roller skating is concerned balance is the key, so place your feet at the width of your shoulder bend down on your knees and squat this position will help you maintain your balance in the best possible manner.
- Try to walk on your skates – Similar to that of a duck as this will help you keep your balance more easily.
- Know how to glide – Push off with one foot and glide on the other until you notice a loss of momentum, then repeat the entire procedure again to gain more distance.
- Know how to stop – All roller skates come with brakes which can usually be located at the toes of the shoes. You will have to use those brakes to bring yourself to a halt.
Health benefits of Roller Skating
Roller skating offers plenty of great health benefits for your body they are as follows:
- Easy on the joints.
- Great as a cross fit training exercise.
- Calorie burning & Fat burning.
- Good for Mood.
- Works the arms and legs.
- Great for improving balance, agility & coordination.
- Strengthen the heart.
- Improves endurance.
- Can be done anywhere.
- Social activity.
Types of Roller Skates
The roller skates can be divided into the following categories
- Recreational outdoor and indoor skates– Indoor roller skates are almost always high-top boots with narrow wheels. Whereas the outdoor skates is a leather shoe or tennis shoe types of skates.
- Speed skates – Jam skating – Popular among kids and teens these skates can be either quad skates or inline skates. Jam skating & tricks are the fastest growing elements of roller skating.
- Children skates – These are vinyl boots as children learn to skate with toy or plastic type skates. It is suggested to buy a size larger to allow for future growth.
- Artistic Skates & Figure Skate – You need specialized skates if you want to freestyle skating or figure skating as they are as light as possible with smaller wheels and have a good grip.
Roller Skating is fun, especially when you have got a hang of it so don’t let all those bumps and bruises let you give up, because with determination and practice you will be able to do it in no time. So, pick up your roller skates and off you go.